Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Is it a kick in the ass, or a gift?

Did you ever agree to go out with someone that you didn't really want to go out with, but he was so persistent that you finally agreed, then he stands you up??? I really had this happen to me, by the way. I feel like it just happened again - I just found out I am getting displaced from my job where I really don't want to be. After two mergers, it finally happened. After the shock of it, I am thinking of it as a gift - I am ready to do this illustration thing full-force, and to me, this is a sign that it is time.

I've always thought that being a graphic designer is what I've always really wanted – well, not so much now. After college, I opted for being a designer instead of an illustrator because, among other reasons, I thought I could always design something and work in my illustrations into the design somehow. In the 25 years of doing this, it has only worked out that way about 2 or 3 times.

This is scary for me, but hopefully Barack (we're on a first name basis - in my dreams!) will convince those stubburn Republicans to pass the health care reform, so I won't have to get a job I hate just to have insurance (it's so ridiculous!)

Any advice and encouragement is welcome!

4 comments:

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Well YOU KNOW WHAT I"M GOING TO SAY??? GO FOR IT!!! GO LONG AND GO HARD! and I will be supporting you all the way. Lynn I hear you so loud and clear. Sometime I think that certain situations come to make us move into the place where we need to be. I got the kick in the patootie when my husband of 16 years lost his job. He has been a stay at home dad for about 6 years now. After 9-11 everything went south for us. He worked as a Aerospace Engineer. Sounds nice don't it?? I got to stay at home with Zoe and buy all the craft stuff I wanted and every now and again do a craft. When the money dried up from unemployment I went to work for a while. Reproductive medicine. My boss HATED ME!!! I do mean HATE with the biggest H ever!!! She couldn't stand me and vowed to get ride of me and she did along with the rest of the staff. Never did anything to them, came to work on time, rain or shine, stayed late and everything. She hated me because she couldn't get a raise out me. Long story short. She fired me and I went to my first SCBWI convention and it changed my life. I thought about all the years I tried to fit in with corp America and failed each time.
I often say that God,in His wisdom, had to make me hungry because I would have never, ever have done it all on my own. I was content to to a wife and mommy. I am now the bread winner for my house and trust me girl it ain't easy, but It's the hardest work I've ever loved and even with it's disappointment here and there I am more than blessed to be doing the thing that I absolutely love! Thanks so much for your encouraging words and I am always here to encourage and lift you up as well beautiful!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of your newfound attitude, especially in the face of this set back. I'm here for you.
Love,
Maxine

Anne said...

I'm here for moral support too! Just say the word if you need anything!
Anne

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

I send you a great many hugs today babygirl!!!!